Friday, January 29, 2010

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

This week has been crazy. In addditon to going to classes, doing lots of homewrok every night, and working in the bio stockroom, I started my two week trial as a Student Ambassador. A student ambassador is a person who gives tour to prospective students and their parents and does other things to try and recruit high schoolers to come to ASC. The job seems easy enough, although there are a couple things I don't like. First is that we have to go to mandatory meetings once a month. That's not what I don't like - the meetings are during when I'm scheduled to be in the stockrooms. The second thing is we have to stay for fall and spring graduations. When I'm done with my finals, I want to go home. I don't want to stay and wait till the next day to go home. I still have until Tuesday (2/2) to decide if I want to do this. At this point, I'm inclined to say no, for the reason above and the fact that I'm probably going to be working two jobs this summer and I want to have more than 1 or 1.5 days to rest before I start.

As you may know, I thought I would be working for the COS Forest Service this summer. Maybe not. I called and asked if they are hiring summer interns for Wildlife Biology and the gal I talked to said the COS office is not. She gave me the name of the HR guy and said Keith would most likely be able to set me up with a job. I've called twice and not heard back. So, I called the Division of Wildlife (DOW) office in the Springs and talked with the volunteer coordinator, Jenna. She said that they don't have internships in the field because it takes away from the rangers working on projects. However, she did say that there is an office assistant "intern" position available evry summer and if I can't fund anything else for this summer, I can work for the DOW!! I made some other calls to different Forest Service offices; one guy I talked to for the Fairplay District said they're not hiring for the STEP (Student Temporary Employment Prgm)/SCEP (Student Carreer Experience Prgm) because of budget cuts. Ok.... That got me thinking: I wonder how many other FS offices are not going to hire this summer? I also called the Monte Vista FS office and the lady who answered the phone told me they're not sure if they are going to hire because they haven't gotten their budget report thing back. Right now, the office job with the DOW looks like my best option. If I do work for the DOW, it will probably only be 1 or 2 days a week. The other days, I can work for dad, either on the job with him or doing bookwork to help mom.

In a nutshell, my life is kinda hectic at the moment. I hope things calm down soon and I don't go crazy.

4 comments:

Nan said...

I say you're inclination to take a pass on the Ambassador job is a good one. You will definitely want to go home! And, that is always something you can do in future years if you want to!

Judy said...

Seestor Nan said it just about right . . .

Anonymous said...

As for the DOW intern possibility, one or two days a week might just be enough, depending on what kind of work you are given to do. And does it pay anything? You'd then have 3/5 time to earn money, which sounds like a good addition to getting that subject-specific/hands on thing with the DOW. Could be good!

Sue said...

Claire - that's a lot of stuff to process. I hope too, that things don't stay this crazy forever!