Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy (Belated) New Year!

After the Stutzie Boulder Bash, we had a nice Christmas at home. I wasn't expecting to get as many presents as I did. Mom got me a reversable vest and an origami desk calendar. She also let Fay and me download Tetris to our phones. Yay! Fay got me a necklace that says "Namaste". Dad got me a pair of gloves for my hands. When I first got home, two of the knuckles on my right hand were cracked and bleeding because of the cold and wind in Alamosa. My new gloves are The North Face brand. I wore them in Iowa, and my hands stayed very warm. Christmas Day afternoon, the four of us went to grandma's house for lupper (lunch and supper) and presents for grandma, Aunt Lois, and the households. It was a nice, relaxing day spent with family.

Saturday, at 3:30 a.m. CO time, dad, Fay, and I took off for Iowa. The trip usually takes about 12 hours but this time, it took us 15 hours to get to Iowa. Highway 24 was closed between Calhan and Limon because of a ground blizzard. So, we went south on the Ellicot highway, got on 94, and drove throught the ENTIRE state of Kansas. That was extremely boring. Yes, Fay and I slept until 9:45, but we were only a little way into KS. After Kansas, we went up through Missouri and then got on 80 and headed east. Instead of getting there at 7 p.m. like we originally thought, we got there at 9 p.m. Grandpa and grandma wanted to see us yet that night, so we went over to their house and ate dinner with them. Needless to say, it was a long day and we didn't get to bed until 11:45 or 12 Iowa time.

The five days went by fast, but it was nice to see the other half of the family again. There was enough snow to go sledding three days. Dad went sledding all three days, but I only went two of the three days. Sledding day 1 dad went sledding with Elizabeth Ann's son Corben and her boyfriend's little girl Emmy. Sledding day 2, dad and I went sledding with Ruth and Mark's Nina and Amara. Sledding day 3 was a lot of fun because Elizabeth Ann, Corben, and Emmy, Nina and Amara, and JoAnn's Andy all went sledding with us for about an hour and a half. Fay went out and took grandpa's dog Hank to the top of the hill and stood and watched all three days. We came home on Thursday, Dec. 31. We left at 3:30 a.m. IA time and got home at about 3:30 p.m. CO time.

Now, I'm at home alone for the majority of the day. Fay is back at school and mom and dad are working. It's kinda nice, but it's a little boring too. In a way I'm ready to be back at school, but in a way I'm not ready to go back. Oh well.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Sounds like you had a good Christmas! The sledding sounds like it was fun, too. We went sledding here last weekend. We drove up to the mountain and sledded until we were wet to the bone! It was "slushing" not snowing, but wasn't super cold. The kids had fun.

Have a great start to the new year!

Anonymous said...

maybe you and i can play around next fri. in COS? I'm coming for two nights to gram's...

Sue said...

The IA trip kinda shot your plan to not get up early the rest of the year, didn't it? It sounds like it was well worth it though!

Nan said...

Hope 2nd semester goes well for you Claire! I like the changes on your blog - looks cool!