This weekend was pretty relaxed. Oh yeah - there was the paper I worked on all day Saturday. I have to write a formal research paper about germ-line/ genetic engineering for my english class. The book we read is called Our Posthuman Future: Consequences of the Biotechnology Revolution. This is the most boring book in the entire wrold. And that's coming from someone who loves to read. Anyways, I was getting frustrated because this paper has to be 12 pages long, excluding the title page, an abstract, and the works cited/ references page. I have 8 sources and I've extracted every nugget of information from them and I have a grand total of ......... 4 and 3/4 pages. The assignment is to compare germ-line/ genetic engineering was being used in 2002 to how it's being used today. Grrrrr. The paper is due two weeks from Wednesday (Dec. 2nd). I know what I'll be working on over Thanksgiving break. I have 9 sources now because the last interlibrary loan came in yesterday. That's good because I think I can use a lot of information from this article. I hope I can.
I got sick this weekend. I went to bed at 3:30 Sat. morning because I wasn't tired until then. And I watched Pan's Labyrinth. Don't ever ever ever watch it. It has quite a few terrifying creatures in it. All of them are non-human. Terry - don't let Zoe watch it. She'll have nightmares for weeks and she won't be able to sleep. Plus, it's rated R, which I didn't know until Monique looked at the case and discovered it is an R movie. I was super freaked out by one of the creatures, so that's part of why I convinced myself I wasn't tired. I'm still a little scared when I hear wierd thumping/ banging noises at night. At any rate, I went to bed at 3:30 and woke up with a sore throat and a completely stuffed up nose. My throat doesn't hurt anymore, but my nose is still stuffy and I'm coughing a little and have a mini waterfall for a nose. Thank goodness I bought tissues when I went to Safeway yesterday. My goal is to get better by the end of this week so I can hang out with family when I go home for Thanksgiving break. I might have a sinus infection, so I'm going to start using the nasal rinse stuff again and see if that helps. I hope it does because I fell asleep in math today and almost fell asleep in chem.
I was a serious space cadet today in chem. I hope Dr. Jones (my chem prof) doesn't think I think he's boring when he lectures because he's not. Today we were talking about the difference between hypertonic and hypotonic solutions. He had just finished explaining what happens if you were to put a red blood cell in a solution of pure water (a hypotonic solution). The cell would lyce (explode). He then moved on to explaining what would occur if a red blood cell were placed in a 5% NaCl solution. The cell would crenase (shrivel). After he said the cell would crenase, out of the blue, Dr. Jones said "It will shrivel like a little old man." Everyone laughed at this for a little while. What made it funny was the fact that Dr. Jones said it like he was saying hello to a student or something.
That's all the news from the little town in the middle of the valley. Tune in next week for another update.
3 comments:
It will shrivel, like a little old man! Ha! I know all about being sick - sooo many people are! The key is to get as much rest as you possibly can - and take drugs. You know, the medicine kind!
Get better fast, Space Cadet Claire! That's a direct order!!
Thanks for the update, Claire! I would have to be paid big money to even consider watching a scary movie, so I'll probably never be tempted to watch the one you're describing. My brain is too visual, all the images get lodged in crystal clearness forever. I will have Lily read your entry -- she brought home a little "cell" made out of dialysis tubing 'cause in their bio class they were experimenting with what molecules will pass through and what wouldn't from one solution to another through the tube/film. Pretty fun. Hang in there and do all the healthy things you know to do, including no more scary movies! ;)
Post a Comment