Sunday, October 18, 2009

Crazy Crazy Crazy

This week was a whrilwind of activity. When I got back Sunday night, I found out my roommate's oldest brother, Jonathan, died in a car accident Saturday morning. He was headed to Walsenburg for the weekend when he hit a patch of black ice on I-25 just a few miles north of the Walsenburg exit and crashed his car. Desi wasn't at school at all last week, which is totally understandable. She came back Friday night so we could go to Brenda's (the women's captain) apartment for a sleep over so we would all get up and be ready to drive to Albuqurque (did I spell that correctly?) for the High Desert Rugby Tournament this weekend. Desi seems to be doing well, considering the circumstances.

We woke up at 5:00 a.m. and left at 6:30 a.m. Saturday morning to head to Albuqurque. We needed one 12 passenger van and two other cars which belong to the school. It's about a 3 hour drive from ASC and everyone slept most if not all the way down there, except the driver of course. We got to the park where the tourney was 10 minutes before the lady's first game. No one stretched and Melissa (she lives down in Albuqurque) pulled her right quad muscles. Needless to say, she didn't play the second game. I played manager for the women's team. I ran water and Gatorade to the ladies when the other team scored a try (similar to a goal in football) and at halftime. I also had to make sure everyone had a mouth gard and a dark colored shirt before both of the games started. For our second game, I called lines. All this means is if the player with the ball steps out of bounds with the ball or the ball goes out of bounds, I run to the spot where the foot or ball went out and hold up a flag so the ref knows where to start play. Although I wasn't doing much, I was sweaty and sunburned when the day was done. It was probably 75 degrees with clear blue skies and a faint breeze every now and then. The day was beautiful and everyone had fun. The women lost bot of their games (I think it was 40-0 and 40 something-0) and I think the men lost all three of their games. Oh well.

That night, both the men and women's teams went to Melissa's house because her parents threw a bbq for us. The bbq was a nice ending to a fun-filled day. After the bbq was done, we all headed back to the hotel and a few of us, myself included, went to bed. The rest of the team members hung out in the lobby or one of the other rooms for a while. Breakfast this morning was cold or hot cereal, hashbrowns, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs or an omlette, waffles, juice, milk, and coffee. In other words, it was a continental breakfast. We left the hotel at 11:30 or 12:00 by the time everyone had all their stuff packed up and loaded in the van and the two school cars. We got back to school at 3:30 and I've been finishing homework and getting ready for tomorrow since then.

I'm going to wrap this up because I have a chemistry lab practical tomorrow and I have my 8:00 english class. I'm going to bed so I don't fall asleeo in any of my classes tomorrow. I'll put some pics from the tourney on hopefully later this week.

2 comments:

Nan said...

You are one busy chick! I am still praying for Desi and for you - :)

Anonymous said...

Claire, I'm just catching up with this week's blog postings on our family sites. I am glad that last weekend in A'querque was such a fun time for everyone. Sounds like good bonding with the sleepover and the bbq, too. Good times! I also am picking up that you're in control of your schedule, which is great! Do you feel like you are? :) Hugs to you and to Desi (tell her I send one). love, auntie T