This past week was crazy. It was Homecoming week and there were a lot of events going on. The theme for homecoming this year was "Outrageous Las Vegas." Monday was "Chalk the Walk" and people had the oppurtunity to campaign for homecoming royalty and/ or show school spirit. I wanted to do that, but I had classes all day so I couldn't.
Tuesday evening was Musical Bingo. I guess it was like bingo, but instead of having numbers under each letter, there was a song title and artist and you had to figure out which song went with which title and artist. I didn't go because I was studying for a bio test.
Wednesday evening there was the Annual ASC Medicine Show. The Medicine Show is like a talent show and most of the clubs on campus participated by preparing a skit featuring the homecoming royalty from that particular club. All the skits had something to do with Las Vegas. The winning club, I think it was the Music Club, got $100 to use within the club. I went to the Med. Show and was entertained by all the clubs which participated.
Thursday from 10 - 1 was voting for homecoming royalty. Thursday evening, there was a magic show and I went to that as well. The show was good, but some of the tricks were really complex and took a long time to perform. After the magic show, there was a bonfire at the practice football fields just north of the dorms. I went and stayed for a little while because it started to get really cold and I had some homework to finish.
Friday was voting for homecoming royalty, again from 10 - 1. Mom and Fay came down Friday evening and we went to a play being out on by the theater department, Children of a Lesser God. I enjoyed it a lot. There was also a jazz band concert Friday night, but we didn' go because we went to the play instead.
Saturday (yesterday) was homecoming. There was a parade through downtown Alamosa yesterday morning. It started at 10 and was finished by 10:45 or so. All the clubs which had participated in the other events throughout the week each had a float. There were also candidates for mayor and some alumni recieving awards in the parade. At 1:00, the homecoming football game began. We played the Western New Mexico University Mustangs and beat them 69 - 42! :) I think that's the only game we've won so far this season. Last night, there was a homecoming Casino Night (a social) that went from 7 -10 p.m. I went for a little and then left because the only two games being played were Texas Hold 'Em and Blackjack. I came back to my room and worked on math homework (I have two assignments due tomorrow and a test on Wednesday).
This Friday we don;'t have classes because it's our Fall Break. It's a short break (Friday - Sunday), but I'm going home. One of my friends lives in the Springs too, so she's going to give me a ride. I'm really excited because there's only four days of classes and I don't have to do laundry!!! I'm going to take it home and save a little money.
Oh yeah! Before I forget, here's an update on my shoulder. Tuesday afternoon I had my first p.t. appointment. The physical therapist, Joel, said I will be able to use my shoulder normally (as in doing everything except playing rugby) in 4-6 weeks. Joel said they measrue lig tears on a 0 (zero) to 4 scale and I was lucky because the tear was between a 0 and a 1, which means it will heal on its own and I won't have to get surgery and walk around with a big bump on my shoulder for the rest of my life. That's the good news. The not-so-good is the tears in the AC ligaments won't completely heal for one (1) year. Even when they're healed, I'll have to be very careful because if someone accidentally bumps my shoulder hard enough from the front or I land on my shoulderlike I did in the game, the AC ligs will tear again and I'll have to start from gorund zero again. Joel said I could tape it to provide some stability and if I really want to, I can get a shoulder brace and wear that in addition to taping it when/ if I play rugby again. There are also shirts with padding in them made for rugby players. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but there's time for me to think about that (4-6 weeks is kind of a long time, right?). He gave me some exercises to do. These exercises don't involve lifting my shoulder, which is nice because there are times when I really don't want to do anything with it because I get occasional pangs of pain. :(... I have to ice it three times a day and apply heat before I do my exercises and ice it after I finish with my exeercises. Oh well, I'm going to do what I need to do to get my shoulder better so I can function normally!
2 comments:
NOW WE'RE TALKIN'! What a great run-down of an action-packed week! Thanks for sharing that, Claire :). Do we get to see you at the Relief Sale, or does that not work with your fall break... oh, if you had the 16th-19th off, ... All the shows and parade-prep and stuff sound like a lot of fun for Homecoming. And fun to see that play, too. Bravo! Glad you're not letting studies control all your time. Ha. love you!
Sounds like a fun week with a lot of activities from which to choose! Glad you get to sneak home for a few days too!!
Post a Comment