Sunday, June 9, 2013

Grr...

I am not a people person. At all. I knew that I would have to deal with the public when I accepted this position but I didn't know how dumb some people can be. I know that I have to maintain a friendly façade when dealing with people but it's hard. I've only been working two and a half weeks and already I can't wait to go home. My contract goes until September 10th which is forever from now. I would love to go home and visit but I know if I did, I would want to stay and not come back. Don't get me wrong, the scenery is amazing and most of the employees are cool people but I can't deal with the public. I thought this job would help me strengthen both my people and customer service skills but at the same time I'm withdrawing deeper and deeper into the shell I've worked so hard to come out of. It makes me a little mad to see people spending money like they're made of it. It seems like most people coming up here want to do everything and don't care how much it costs. I've had one person ask me how much it would be to rent out one of our lake tour boats. Almost $1000 (38 seats x $30/person)... I've also heard of a guy last year spending up to $20,000 on rooms, activities, etc. for a family reunion and tell family members not to pay him back. I don't know why it irritates me so much but it does. It feels like the only thing I have to look forward to on a weekly basis is my three days off (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) and those days go by way too quickly.

I guess I'm saying my patience is quickly running out and I'm in for a long, hard, frusterating, (potentially) not great summer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claire - just a few thoughts. I hear you on idiotic "public"...!! BUT, humor can do amazing things for your sanity. Jot down the top two things each day that make you smile (or that would make a good base for a skit or sit-com!). Each day choose a positive word or image as your mantra ("caterpillar" or "smoothie" or "brook," "golden eagle" or anything!!) and as you do your best to answer the silly questions you may be getting, your mantra will keep you at peace and centered. The end-of-season review will be key to your future job reference. YOU CAN DO IT!! We'll also come to see you if we can. Not sure when, but maybe toward the end of your stay?? LOVE YOU!

Judy said...

Even though it seems that the ratio of "stupids" to "cool" is out of proportion some days, there ARE a bunch of good people out there. People are amazing ... sometimes it's fun amazing and other times it's "I can't believe it" amazing. But - like Terry said - the positive highlights are what you can build on to strengthen yourself. Even if you were working right now as a DOW officer or something like that, you'd still be dealing with people who don't think or who come from an entirely different perspective than what's important to you. Interesting that you say you're not a people person because you have always seemed to enjoy participating on teams and helping groups, etc. That's being a people person ... You can do this job and do it well. Believe in yourself! love, Mom

Nan said...

I think your job WILL help you strengthen your people and customer skills! You will meet all kinds of folks in all of your life experiences - don't judge folks for having money - I'm sure we could all think of many other things that the money could/should be spent on - but people aren't wrong or bad for wanting to do/experience all that the park/region has to offer! Don't let it get to you - When I hear you tell of the man who paid for the rooms/activities for his family and their family reunion - I think, man, what an amazing blessing for his family members! It's fine if this experience serves to affirm that you don't want to work primarily with 'customers' - but don't believe for a second that your summer will be wasted or that it will not result in anything good - sounds like you're going to grow a lot - and I'll bet you'll have some surprises in store for you. Keep an open mind - :)