Wow. College is nothing like I thought it would be. My first week ws so stressful because there were so many little details I had to resolve. These details were completely unforseen and were a pain to take care of. For examlpe, I needed to get the information for work-study stuff so I went to the Student Service Center (One Stop) and asked for a work-study packet. The guy who I asked said he didn;t know where they were and told me to go to computing services and get a packet from them because "they are always hiring". Ok. So I go to the computing services building . At this point, I've already spent probably half an hour trying to get the packet. I get there and ask for a work-study packet. Now there's another twist to the story. I found out that the department I want to work for should have a packet specific to whatever department (in my case, the biology department). By this time I'm getting a little frustrated. It shouldn't be this hard to get a few pieces of paper, should it? Anyway, I go to the bio department and talk to the professor in charge of the wrok-study and she says One Stop should has the packets for all work-study positions. Back to One Stop I go, rather upset that it has taken this long to get a packet. I get to One Stop, ask for a packet, a different guy goes to get a W-4, I-9, and the other stuff, and one of the ladies working with the second guy says, "We don't have packets anymore. It's all online." She hands me a half sheet of paper and says, "Your supervisor can pull your forms up after you fill them out." It took me about two hours to get half a sheet of paper with 5 web addresses on it. I get back to my room and type in the first web address. What pops up is a PDF. All of the forms are PDFs. There is no way my supervisor can pull these up from a computer other than my own. So I print them out and fill out what I'm supposed to. Anyways, this story has a happy ending. I have a job in the biology stockrooms cleaning beakers, flasks, test tubes, and other sundry items from this past semester (spring '09). Gross. Stuff is caked on and has to soak overnight at the very least. Oh well. It's a job, right?
The second week has been better. I dropped my Spanish class the first week because I was completely lost and very uncomfortable in the class. The prof agreed with me in I'm not ready to take Spanish 203 this year. Maybe next year, but definately not this year. So instead of an 11:00 a.m. Spanish class, I have an 8:00 a.m. english class, MWF. Ugg. Tuesday mornings, I have a chem lab at 8:00 a.m. Ugg. Thursday is the only day I don't have an 8 a.m. class. Wednesday afternoons, I have my bio lab from 2-3:50. Both my chem lecture and my bio lecture are M,T,W,R,F at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., respectively.
I've joined some clubs, too. I'm in the Adams State Adventure Program (ASAP) and Tri Beta (the biology national honor society). I also play on the women's rugby team (it's a club sport). Our first game is Saturday, September 19th. I'm not sure who we're playing or if it's a hamo aor away game. I'll check on Tuesday. Practices are T,W,R from 4-5:30 p.m. Our only protection/ padding are our mouth guards, which are football mouth guards. So far, it's fun, but then again, I've only been to one practice. I'm giving it a try and if I don't like it, I'll quit. I'm sore all over fron practice yesterday and I have a huge bruise on my upper right arm, a smaller bruise on my upper right arm, and a bruise on the inside of my right knee.
Well, I'm going to dinner now. I'll wirte again next weekend. Love to all.
5 comments:
Dear Claire, So good to hear from you. Sounds like you have a busy enough schedule!!
Hope you can relax this weekend and enjoy being with your family.
Lots of love, Grandma H
Yippee! I'm so excited to be able to follow you on your blog. I hope things just keep getting better and better for you. Love you!
What a run around, Claire, but you finally figured it out! I agree with Lauren that things WILL just keep getting better. You'll continue to meet people, get more boo-boos in rugby or kayaking ;) and expand your circles while learning fun new stuff (and while cleaning grungy test tubes)! love you!
Claire, My first work study job was cleaning/washing/autoclaving dirty test tubes from the micro bio labs. I never could get used to the smell! My happy ending was that my senior year I was given the opportunity to work with a professor on some pretty cool research! By then, I knew everyone in the deptartment and all the "in and outs." Oh yeah, and someone else was washing my test tubes. :)
Hang in there!!
PS~ I was also a custodial aid cleaning dorm rooms on the weekends...there is no worse job (except maybe the septic guy we just had out to our new house. He had to crawl into our septic/sewer to do a repair, gross!!!! and grossly underpaid!!!!)
This is great - I keep wondering how you're doing and what you're up to so I will follow your blog! Congrats on getting the job - even though it's kinda gross.
Post a Comment