In an article called "Nonoverlapping Magisteria," author Stephen Jay Gould states that the Catholic church has not had problems with accepting evolution as a scientific theory, the results of which we see everyday. Gould also makes the assertion that "Creationism is a homegrown phenomenon of American socio-cultural history..." and that "science and religion are not in conflict, for their teachings occupy distinctly different domains." America is the only nation that has any issue with the theory of evolution. Why? Is it because of this country's Protestant roots and the early Protestant's literal interpretation of the Bible? Why do there have to be issues with this theory? Why can't people accept this for what it is, a scientific theory that has been around for more than 150 years and for which there is proof?
I understand that what I'm saying may upset or concern some of you but honestly, I don't really care. I'm not saying that there isn't a God and He doesn't exist. All I'm saying is that, for me, it's easier for me to really truly accept and believe in something for which I can see proof. If anyone is interested, I can email you "Nonoverlapping Magisteria." Another book, if interested, is "Ever Since Darwin," a collection of essays by Stephen Jay Gould.

I welcome your comments.
3 comments:
Claire - thanks for posting. I have no discomfort with the thought of Creator creating in a way that demonstrates change over time. I find great inspiration in creation, and even in wondering about the hundreds of millions of ways living things, rocks, and creatures, have come to be the way they are. "It is good!" :) hugs - auntie T
Hi Claire! This is Emma. I really enjoyed reading your entry because it's something I have thought about a lot recently too.I have become extremely interested in biology this year,(awesome teacher:) and found myself in a deeper level of interest/fascination with science than before.Just last weekend, I attended the Lancaster Youth Winter Retreat with my youth group. Although the speaker was wonderful, I found myself actually troubled at the frequent comparisons he would make between what science tells you to believe and what our faith as Mennonites tells us to believe, then firmly questioning us: "Whose truth are you going to believe? I've encountered this a lot recently,and also wonder why people have to choose one over the other, while I believe that because God CREATED science- (God is the why things happen, science is the how)there is no need to choose between the two...
- Emma
Science and faith are complimentary; God's pretty stinkin' amazing to come up with all the interconnected, miniscule,fascinating details that make up living organisms (and the not living ones, too!) in this universe. Mankind just thinks it's so smart 'cuz we're finally just figgerin' out some of this stuff!
Post a Comment